Today while driving Jonathan home from school I asked him about the other kids in his class. Since the local elementary school was full when we moved here he had to be bused to another one. Most of the kids in our ward go to charter schools so he is new to the school and doesn’t have friends. He said, “Um, I think the boy that sits by me, Gustavo is the second smartest kid in the class.” I replied with, “only second smartest? Who is the smartest?” He said, “I don’t mean to be uh, bragging but…. me.” He’s already looked at the back of the math book for the year and says all the problems are way too easy. He sounds kind of narcissistic but actually isn’t. He realizes where he fits in and doesn’t. I’m not worried about a lack of things to keep him humble in life. The challenge is getting him to still try and become good at the things that don’t come as easy for him and being ok with that. This whole parenting thing is quite the adventure.
James loves kindergarten and comes home exhausted. His favorite part appears to be getting stars in the form of paper or stickers. He says he "really, really" misses us while he’s gone.