12.09.2014

Last week, I had a meeting with Jonathan’s teacher and the school Speech Therapist to discuss Jonathan. These meetings are normal for any child getting extra services through the school. In Jonathan’s case, he is still working on his R sound. We briefly discussed his strengths, weaknesses and how to best help him. I asked about what subject he is missing for Speech Therapy and they said it is math indicating that it is obviously not a problem. His teacher told us how she sends the GATE kids out to the hall during math with higher-level math assignments (since she is busy teaching the class), Jonathan helps them understand how to complete it, and they come back having done it correctly. So basically, he just goes to Speech or teaches the other kids during math. I’m grateful that math and reading seem to come easy to him but sure wish he were learning things tailored to him at school. The women at the meeting recommended books for gifted kids (I should be flattered they think so highly of him I guess) and a coding course. He's really enjoyed doing a Khan Academy coding course last night and tonight so maybe they are onto something good here.