We unwittingly invited our neighbors over for breakfast on Fast Sunday this month. Oh yeah, THAT family….. Just in case that wasn’t enough, we have a little short-cut to get around traffic that we often take which includes driving back and around one of the local pubs. I like to joke that all the ward members see us, roll their eyes and say, “There’s the Greys again, stopping by the Irish Pub after church.”
With the exception of ice cream trucks, I think there is nothing parents dislike more than when their child is asked to find “sponsors” to get money for their school. I don’t know who came up with the idea of getting kids to guilt every neighbor, family member and friend for money but it drives me crazy. I’m already dreading the sports teams making the teenagers sell candy bars and know we’ll end up with a lot in our pantry because there’s no way I’m sending my kids around the neighborhood. Anyway, today is Jonathan’s jog-a-thon. Suffice it to say the poor boy only has two sponsors to get him running more laps – me and Michael. He’s been practicing running around the cul-de-sac with James ten feet behind. It’s quite an adorable sight.
Yesterday, once I realized it would be one of Michael’s late days, I packed bikes and scooters in the minivan and we headed to a nice park with a big grassy hill. The weather was perfect with a slight breeze. After pushing Gracie and Ryan in the swings for a while I watched the kids running and rolling down the hill and the boys inspecting ants on the sidewalk and thought of how much I love these little people we get to call ours. I called Michael while he was in traffic so he could enjoy the moment vicariously.
The kids have finally picked up on shutting the door when using the bathroom. This is good step for everyone. Yesterday, Gracie knocked on the door saying, "Hey James, you goin potty in der?" She does have a point since somehow someone must be speding time using the toothpaste to decorate the mirror.