Whenever Mike and I talk about touchy topics I often will put on my huge sunglasses as a sign that I need a little space. It often adds a little humor into the discussion and he'll say something like, "Take those glasses off young lady" or something like that since it is such a teenager type thing to do. Anyway, the other week, James hit me on my left ear with a huge blue plastic bat. Although I have been hit by the boys with real intent at times, it is important to note that this was an accident.
He's a good hitter though. He had a bat. He's a tough kid. It hurt like crazy. My ear rang for a couple of minutes and I went to the couch to cry. Anyway, that same day I realized I lost some hearing in that ear which scared me. I looked things up online and figured it must be a perforated eardrum. Over the last couple of weeks I've been able to hear better out of the ear and despite there being slight pain when I touch it, I hope for a full recovery. I don't know if it is back to normal yet though so now I have another defense for any touchy conversations. I can always say, "What was that? I'm sorry I just can't hear out of that ear."