5.19.2013

Ryan - First Birthday

Dear Ryan,

Happy 1st birthday! We are so happy to have our sweet wide blue eyed, giggling mess maker. One year ago, on May 17th night/ May 18th morning (Your exact due date) I went into labor late at night. Grandma D. had come from Utah so we put Gracie in with the two older boys and made Gracie’s room hers. We decided to let her sleep because we knew she’d need as much rest as possible if she was going to have enough energy to be watching the other kids for the next few days! Dad drove me to the hospital (the same one where we had all three of your older siblings) and we waited anxiously while they checked to see how soon you’d be arriving. The doctor’s thought I looked really small and that you would be small, that I was far enough along that labor probably would only require two or three pushes so I probably wouldn’t even need an epidural. They were wrong on all three accounts. I didn’t get the epidural but wish I had insisted on it first thing. Dad said he always forgets how strong I am until he is by my side while in labor. You were 8 pounds, 4 ounces (smaller than my other babies but plenty big). When you came, you screamed even before you were all the way out and I got nervous that maybe you’d cry a lot. Luckily you didn’t cry too much. I like to describe you as a baby as just hard enough to keep us humble. Daddy went back home before it was morning and went back to sleep. When he got up, Grandma was making breakfast and asked where I was. He said, “She’s at the hospital”, she asked, “Oh, do you think you’d like to go to be with her while she’s in labor?” and he said, “She already had the baby.” She was surprised. She came and visited me in the hospital with lots of pretty flowers and a card and gave you a book called, On the Day that You Were Born. She took good care of the other kids and when I got home she would hold you and even take naps with you so I could sleep. I remember she made all sorts of yummy food that we didn’t usually make which me and Daddy really enjoyed.

You had a bald spot on your head which has become quite endearing. Like your brothers and sisters, you were jaundice and had to use a bilirubin light in the hospital and at home. I liked the names Daniel, Brennon and Jacob and Daddy wasn’t so sure about the first two. He mostly liked Ryan so since we already have a nephew named Jacob and it is very popular now that the Twilight phenomena is out, we decided on Ryan Jacob Grey. I also thought Ruth and Ryan seemed to go well since we both have Rs and four letter names. I remember I took you to the park and Grandma held you in just your diaper in the shade since sunlight was good for you but we didn’t want to give you a sunburn. Your brothers and sisters were really excited to have their new baby brother. Gracie had a hard time giving up my lap though. She still loves being held and sometimes has a hard time when she has to share it with you. Sister Stearns, our bishop’s wife, was always so nice on Sundays. She would hold you during Sacrament Meeting for the first little while so Daddy and I could take care of the other kids. I was teaching Relief Society once a month and Daddy would always take you when I needed to teach. When you were four or five months old, Grandma Neyens started to visit every month from 8:45-3:00 on the third Wednesday. We enjoyed that time with her and you would always enjoy showing off your new found skills. She and Grandpa Neyens gave you a bumbo seat. Some ladies in the ward, my sisters and friends contributed to your getting clothes, diapers, books, and some meals for the family to welcome you here. I remember Uncle Melvin stopped by with some lasagna and diapers and meeting up with my friend Dawn and her family at La Jolla Shores while you slept and the kids played. She gave you an outfit and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone. It was so nice to have support and know there would be people to welcome our little fellow.

While I was pregnant with you, I was really tired and it was hard to pick up Jonathan from school because I had to park far away and walk to the classroom with the other kids during their nap time. I prayed about what to do about it and a very nice family in our ward, the Christensen’s who had a son, Ammon, in another kindergarten class offered to bring him home for me. So throughout the pregnancy and while we still ivied in Mira Mesa they would always bring Jonathan home from school. It was so kind of them and made having you a lot easier on me! You love to open cupboards and doors now. You especially enjoy toy cars and wrestling. You are certainly a wiggle-bug and changing your diaper is quite the feat as you roll over as soon as we put you down. You like to click your tongue to give kisses.

I love you lots!

Mom