At his six year checkup, he was 60 lb. 9.6 oz. (96.24%) and 4’1.5"(98.18%), obviously a big boy. His hair is quite blond and has lost most of the red, especially when its cut short. He’s a bright kid and gives great cuddles when he wants to. Now that he is six, he can tie his shoe (mostly), make his bed (mostly), pump independently on a swing, ride a bike and does a pretty good job at soccer, baseball, football and wrestling with Mike.
On his birthday morning, I made pancakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream and we all said something we like about him. I mentioned that I like it when he helps out his siblings and James followed up on that saying that, “Sometimes, Jofin does my job of making Gracie happy.” It’s cute that James sees that as his job.
I invited Grandma and Grandpa Neyens down for dinner and ice cream. Jonathan requested pizza which made that part pretty easy. Mike was late coming home from work but made it in time to help the boys complete the “quest” I had planned. Jonathan got a paper with specific instructions that he had to read out loud and off they went on their mission. They started out by painting blob monsters by blowing finger paint through straws and adding crafty eyes that stick on. They each had to pop six bubbles. Next, they had to rescue some Lego guys that had been frozen in ice. Since it was already dark, they did this in the bathtub by spraying them with water guns and breaking the ice with a wooden hammer. Next, they had to get their capes by getting across the livingroom covered with lasers (string). They decorated some R2D2 robots and saved Princess Gracie from the monsters (we had previously painted) by hopping on pillows over the carpet which was hot lava. Finally, they had to shoot helium balloons with nurfball sling shots and decode the secret message saying that the cake and presents were on the table in the kitchen. Grandpa and Grandma D. gave him a very fun rocket ship alarm clock, kid’s camera and science kit that are much loved and perfect for him. Grandpa and Grandma Neyens gave him a little camouflage bag sewn just for him with Grandpa’s old plastic soldiers from when he was a kid. Mike and I gave him a telescope and some building toys called zoobs. During his little “quest” he said, “This is the best birthday ever” so I guess that means he had a great day.