2.11.2012

After getting Gracie in bed for nap, I took advantage of the chance to finally run an errand or two without the munchkins. I received two phone calls during my outing. One was from Jonathan followed by ones from James both asking that I come home as quickly as possible since their bouncy balls were in the car.

Mike has been busy all day with schoolwork so when he was finally available after dinner tonight, the boys requested that we play Heads up 7-Up, and wrestle. Heads Up 7-Up was enjoyable although we need more people and Gracie decided she would help by touching thumbs as well. When it was time to wrestle, I sat on the couch and folded laundry. Jonathan and James both took their shirts off (somehow they got the idea that this makes them look “tough”) and wrestled each other, Michael and Gracie. They are pretty good at being soft with Gracie when they tackle and she likes running toward them and Mike and getting big hugs. It was quite the intense wrestling match. The boys had to take breaks to get wet washcloths to keep them cool since they were working up such a sweat.

I was quite proud of myself on Friday because I made a cute robot Valentine box for Jonathan and a teacher Valentine with play dough, sharpies, smarties and bubbles in a Mason jar with a note for his teacher:

Even “doh” I usually like to “play”, thank you for helping me become a “sharpie” and a “smartie”. I hope you have a “bubbly” nice Valentine’s Day!

Jonathan

His teacher said he had written an amazing story about going to the dentist describing pressing the button on the elevator and going to the third floor and lots of other details from visiting the dentist. She mentioned that he had also read a chapter book to the entire class! I thought Jonathan would be happy to talk to me about all of this but it was all I could get out of him to find out that the book he read to the class was, Gilbert the Surfer Dude. He explained that Gilbert in the book, had a sister named "Wily". "Wily?" "Wily, with an L." We need to work on the L sound some more.

As we were getting into the car Jonathan said, “Mom, you’re talking to me like I’m three!” OK, Mr. grown up 5 year-old, almost 6. Tonight I was telling James about what he was like as a baby and he replied, “Mom, your being so mean. I’m not a baby!” Of course, he was sucking his thumb at the time and Mike pointed out that babies suck their thumbs. He replied that “sometimes big kids suck their thumbs too.”