7.27.2025

Learning Styles and How to Save a Life

 I don't think I've recorded these here so at risk of already having recorded them, here they are:

One year, Mike was teaching Jonathan to snowboard. He had taught James the year prior on his 8 year old trip to Lake Tahoe so it must have been around 2017. Jonathan had a miserable first day of snowboarding and couldn't seem to get it. To make it worse, James was doing pretty. I remember Mike telling me he was thinking he may not ever be able to pick it up. I prayed about it and I'm not sure if it was inspired or not but I thought to find a beginning snowboarding tips on YouTube. He watched it as they drove up to the ski resort the next morning and he was able to get the hang on it on his first time that day. Whereas, we initially thought he'd learn through hands-on doing, he actually learned better through watching the YouTube. It just goes to show different learning styles get through to different people.

Also, I've probably recorded this one but just in case... One summer (probably during 2020 or so) we were having a ward beach day. A friend, Lee Ann Gonzales, told me she had seen Jonathan saving a boy's life at the beach. Jonathan, in his characteristic quiet ways, hadn't said anything about it so I had to pry. Apparently, there had a been a boy who was struggling and he asked if he needed help. The boy replied "no" but Jonathan noticed he was continuing to struggle and he ended up accepting it. So Jonathan helped drag him in to where he could touch the ground and got him to safety. He claims he didn't think of using his life saving water skills from his merit badge but I was so proud he took the initiative to help the struggling boy. So, there's probably something insightful I should learn here about how to save a life. I hope he will remember doing this and how impactful it can be when we are struggling to have someone do for you what you aren't able to do yourself.