10.28.2017

Yesterday I noticed James’ classroom behavior app.  He got 100% for “angelic behavior”.  He certainly can be quite sweet when he wants to be. 

He came home a few days ago saying someone used his name as graffiti at school on a column outside his classroom.  Apparently someone wrote, “I love James” with hearts.  We asked if he recognized the handwriting but he says he is too embarrassed to look at it.

To encourage good behavior, I told the kids at the dinner table that if any of their school teachers, on their own accord, ever tell me that he or she is the nicest, most courteous kid in the class, I will take them out to frozen yogurt.  Jonathan joined shortly thereafter by James said, of course they were the most courteous kids in the class and proceeded to raise their hands reciting the scout motto and oath in unison.  I was quite impressed but I have to hear it from their teachers if they want frozen yogurt.

Last month we went as a family to a wedding reception for Jacquelyn Jacobson, a second cousin of mine, who taught the kid’s swim lessons a couple of years ago.  We figured it would be a good opportunity for Ryan to wear his yellow bowtie.  I guess it turned him into quite the charmer because he told us that he asked a teenage girl who was playing with him for her number.  He said she gave it to him but it was too long for him to remember.

Ryan regularly asks to teach FHE and we finally gave him a turn a few weeks ago.  He sent James to his room for being “too wiggly”, started a wrestling match and randomly looked at library books obviously enjoying the undivided attention.

A while back I asked Ryan if I could hold him.  He replied “Yes, for one zepto second”.  He’s been regularly sprinting around the house practicing his speed.  At Parent Teacher Conference, I mentioned that I appreciate his teacher because he sure must tire him out.  He replied “Ryan?  No, he’s great”.  He proceeded to tell me that sits still on the rug, follows all instructions and helps the kids at his table out.  I came home and called Michael who was in San Francisco at the time and we both were shocked.  We’ll take it though!    

We have a family Book of Mormon Reading Challenge Chart where we each have a road and fill in the books we’ve read.  Grace has been very determined in her reading and told Grandma those “vine yard” chapters sure are long. 

I changed the password to my phone so that the kid’s couldn’t get on it.  I let them use it for math facts and they started wanted to play on it all the time.  Anyway, I walked into my room one evening and Jonathan had Ryan on his back using Ryan’s toes to type the password on my phone, which was sitting on an ironing board.  It was quite the sight.  I’ve since cleaned the phone. 

It was parent day for the Bella Vista Middle School Silver Hawks last Friday.  Jonathan affectionately referred to it as “Stalk Your Hawk Day”.  I went to his PE class and a cute girl, his same age at church waved to me.  After class I said, “I didn’t know she was in your class.  She’s such a nice girl.”  He replied, “She’s in my class?” totally oblivious.

Gracie asked me how I learned to be such a good teacher.  I didn’t understand what she was saying and figured out she meant to ask how I learn to be a mom.  She was wondering if I went to college or had special training for it.  I could use some training!

Soccer season is almost done.  James has loved having Michael coach and he’s done a great job.  Grace is very mild mannered on the field and occasionally kicks the ball.  Ryan on the other hand is unstoppable.  He scores and scores and scores again.        


I had a sign on our fridge listing the ten healthiest and ten worst foods for you.  The kid’s included their own little signs so it ended up saying the ten worst foods for your taste buds and the ten best foods for your taste buds.