2.19.2015

Although my thoughts and prayers are consumed with urgent need right now, I still want to make note of the sweet and simple goings-on around our house.  So here are a few:

I was in and out from Saturday morning through Monday night with family, church and extended family responsibilities.  Michael was a trooper and ran the household well, including taking care of the kiddos for Jonathan’s birthday on Monday and baking a delicious carrot cake and cookies with his helpers.  Just so I feel like my day-to-day mundane work is a significant contribution, I will note that it required a full day’s worth of focused, diligent cleaning to get the house back to normal.  Michael and I both had a little chuckle when he said he started a load of wash and had to remember how to do it.  It’s been a while…like say, ten years?

Jonathan’s 9!  I love that kid more than I can possibly describe.  He’s strong, bright, funny and pretty darn sweet too.  Who would have thought that all-consuming, crying, chubby, baldy would be such a wonderful, funny, wild-haired, selfless kid?  I offered to pay him to babysit for a half hour and he said he’d babysit but wouldn’t accept pay.  Granted, he did get two dollars from the “tooth fairy” after losing two teeth on Tuesday at school.  I’m not sure if they sent him to the nurse’s office once or twice because he came home with each tooth in its own little treasure box.  James heard all about the missing teeth on his way home from school and was super jealous.  He just can’t wait to lose his first and is certain one of his teeth is loose, he just forgets which one it is.  Michael is used to being greeted with tackles of affection when he gets home so he was already on his knees waiting for the little people to come and attack when he got home the other night.  Jonathan gave him a big hug and picked Michael up off his knees to show he meant it.  Nothing like your newly-turned-9 son hugging you in the air to bring a smile to your face.   

Ryan likes to associate his name with Lion.  So now he occasionally refers to himself as a lion and roars to let it be known. 

This morning Gracie whispered in my ear.  She was telling me to sneak her blanket to her without Ryan seeing so he wouldn’t take it.  Ryan felt left out and wanted to whisper in my ear too.  He said something about going to the park.  He gave me a huge smile so proud to be able to whisper a secret to me. 

We are fairly strict about the kids staying in bed at bedtime because otherwise they would be up all night.  Tonight, Ryan was entertaining the other two with occasional yelling and I had to remind him to be quiet and let the older boys sleep.  Later, I heard pitter-patter with occasional jumps down the hall.  Sure enough the little munchkin was out and about.  I sent him back to bed and James yelled from the top bunk, “Did you find our spy?”  Yes, he was captured and put to bed.