4.27.2013

When Gracie wants to be held, which is fairly often, she always says, “Mommy, Gracie wants to hold you.” It’s always a little more challenging when she wants to hold me and my hands are already full with Ryan. Sometimes I hold one in each arm and they have fun smiling and playing with each other. I think of it as my weight lifting for the day.

James and Jonathan have started their first season of basketball. Whereas Michael played soccer growing up, I played basketball. I’ve had mixed emotions teaching them how to play. One part of me is so happy to be teaching my boys a game and skills I am actually really good at and the other part of me feels intimidated, already having gone down that path. It was very enjoyable watching Jonathan’s practice. I think he danced for a third of the time celebrating any baskets he or his teammates made and keeping track of all the points. Since he is the tallest boy on his team, I think people expect him to be really good and wonder why he’s dancing around. I’ve gone through life being taller than everyone else and being expected to be more mature than my age and better at things than my peers, so if he wants to dance around the court the entire season, I’m fine with that. Whereas with soccer, the parents were pretty laid back, I’ve already noticed that with basketball, the dads are really into it and involved. It’s like they are all assistant coaches, helping out with practice and so forth. The boys are enjoying it, which is probably more important than all my ramblings.

Two things Michael and I don’t agree on are Jonathan’s hair and cold cereal. Jonathan’s hair is wild, thick and blond with red in it, a rare combination that I have been told many women spend excessive amounts of money and time to achieve. He has a large head and never combs it so I figure we should keep it nicely trimmed around the ears (which stick out in such a cute way) and short. Michael on the other hand has told Jonathan that he should never let me cut his hair and if I ever try, Jonathan reports to Michael that I tried to cut his hair. I know I should choose my battles but sometimes I wish the boys/man in my life didn’t have such strong-willed personalities. Jonathan’s hair is currently long enough to provide his head and ears some extra sun protection which my dermatologist dad and men-with-long-hair loving mom like, so I’m totally outnumbered. This takes me to cold cereal. I have gone summers where I have fixed nothing but pancakes, waffles and breakfast burritos everyday. These are family favorites and provided a good time for us to all eat together/read scriptures together so I put a lot of effort into them. Since Jonathan was little, Michael insisted he would never eat cold cereal and would never give in when I attempted to feed him some. I realize oatmeal is less expensive and healthier. However, I didn’t realize this would lead to Jonathan never ever eating cold cereal and only liking the exact way Michael makes oatmeal. Every so often things are hectic and it is nice to feed your child cold cereal. This is a luxury I have never had with Jonathan. I have tried various kinds including sugar cereals like Lucky Charms to no avail. This last month, Michael taught Jonathan how to prepare his own oatmeal with his exact recipe. It has been a huge help. Jonathan takes pride in his oatmeal making abilities and as long as there are oats, brown sugar and salt on the shelf, I think we have reached an end to my cold cereal dilemma. All other three children will eat cold cereal by the way; I learned my lesson.