I went to the library yesterday with James and Grace. As James ran ahead I made Gracie walk rather than carry her like she wanted. I figure she needs to learn a little more independence and just finished a book by John Rosemond which has inspired me to be more strict. As I slowly walked next to her toward that library I noticed James playing/dancing on the sculpture in front of the library singing, “I’m trying to be like Jesus”, over and over loudly enough for the listening pleasure of every patron coming in or out of the library. For a brief moment I enjoyed the anonymity of slowly walking by Gracie while people passing by couldn’t help but notice James. Once he saw me though, he stopped to yell, “Hi Mom”. Yes, he’s mine.
I had really been looking forward to having an hour or two to read my current book from the library or practice a couple piano songs last night after the kids were in bed, but instead found myself staying up until bedtime working on a leprechaun trap for Jonathan. I mentioned to Mike that Jonathan is only in kindergarten and if I’m up late working on his project, this is certainly not a good sign. Mike agreed. I ended up cutting a hole in a box, covering it with green “grass”, a rainbow and pot of gold and putting a little sign up that read, “Little People’s Swimming Hole” with a picture of a leprechaun in a swimsuit and hat. The blue swimming hole is actually not water, mind you; it is only paper and tissue paper waiting to trap an unsuspecting leprechaun. I was quite proud of the final product so when I get around to posting pictures, you will all have to email me telling me what a clever mom I am for making such an amazing trap. Mike’s, “its cute honey” simply didn’t do it justice. I should however, mention that Mike did a great job of showing the boys exactly how the trap would work on the unsuspecting leprechaun at breakfast this morning by acting it out with an Irish accent and all. The boys asked for an encore. Had I only known he had these hidden abilities we may have married sooner.
I’ve been reading a Miss Piggle Wiggle book to Jonathan and enjoying it immensely since I remember reading Miss Piggle Wiggle books when I was young. As he drank the last of the smoothie directly out of the blender at breakfast I suggested we invite Miss Piggle Wiggle’s pet pig, Lester over to teach him a few manners and he was quite responsive to the idea.