12.03.2010

Christmas Memories

 

 


Here are the boys having fun decorating the little tree with the unbreakable ornaments. It was sentimental to pull out the Christmas things and brought back fond memories. The Good King Wenceslas Children's book from Grandpa Donaldson is one of my favorite books. I love the song because we always sang it at our family get-togethers and I love the art. Grandpa Donaldson would rent Timp Lodge so there would be enough room for all the kids and grandkids and we'd put on plays, have yummy meals, go sledding and have fun with our cousins. There are also three Hummel ornaments from Grandma D. that make me miss her. I don't collect things and probably throw too much away but I could see myself really enjoying colleting the chubby little German figures. There are also all wooden ornaments from my mom's good friend and old mission companion, Georgeanna. She's always been so sweet to us throughout the years, always finding ways to serve and bless our lives. I remember her yummy sugar cookies and getting a special ornament from her each year. Mom and Dad would always have a special dinner with food from the time period Christ was alive. We'd eat by candlelight and have my grandparents over for it. We'd act out a little nativity for them and always enjoyed having Dad be the donkey. After Rachel became too big to play baby Jesus, we used a boy doll who I am sure was much more peaceful than the real babies. Grandma V. always gave us prunes she dried mixed with chocolate kisses and pajamas. She'd braid my hair, had soft hands and perfectly manicured nails and smelly lotion or perfume. She'd tell us stories about her life growing up on a farm and serving in the navy. Grandpa would also have wonderful stories. He and Grandma made quilts and sleeping bags for all of us grandkids. I think there are about 40 of us, so now I realize why there was always some quilt in progress. We were lucky enough to visit them each week but there was something especially neat about Christmas. Grandpa and Grandma D. went all out when it came to Christmas lights. They cut a tree from their yard each year. Grandpa still does and always says he'll die when the last tree is cut down. Mom would always make soup and bread and have us visit all the widows and widowers in the ward. She's have us each sing a verse from the nativity song for them. I think she even laminated pictures for us to hold up when it came to our verse. I hope I can come up with some fun traditions or special gifts for my kids and grandkids so they have similar memories someday.
Posted by Picasa