When I think of Mom, I think of a beautiful person who finds her greatest joy in her family and serving others.
Some of my first memories are of me being "mommy's little helper". I think she even dressed Mary and me in shirts that said this for a while, training us well. She would often make food for others and have us children help deliver it. At Christmas time this always included us singing to the elderly. I remember her putting curlers in Sarah, Mary, mine and Rachel's hair after baths on Saturday night, and taking all six of us kids to church by herself. I figure that raising one naturally angelic child must be difficult but six kids all two years or less apart must be almost impossible.
I have fond memories of singing songs with her while she played the piano when I was a little girl. She often took us swimming and to the library. She always had long fingernails which were ideal for scratching backs and braiding hair. She says they were useful for cleaning things. I remember her making our Halloween costumes, Christmas stockings and quilts for each of us as the years passed. She would often put things aside to read us books. She was always up early and made sure we had nice breakfasts before school and an after-school snack. Of course, we just assumed that a nice dinner was the norm in all households. Now that I realize how much effort goes into each child, I am astounded at how she managed to clean, care for all of us, shop and prepare meals, and yet still serve others.
Later as we grew, I am impressed she was able to drive us to and from lessons or sports events, bake bread or rolls, keep food storage, and use the vegetables and fruit from our garden in so many healthy ways. I remember she would always ask people, "What's new and exciting?". Now I realize how much that meant to the people she met. It gave them a chance to talk to someone.
She really cared about what was important to them. We always had especially nice meals on Sunday and she and Dad made sure we always visited grandparents every Sunday. What a blessing this was. I realize now how much she did on her own, not only when Dad was in medical school, but also as he often worked long hours, came home in time for dinner and rushed off to a church meeting. She supported him in his work and callings for many years. It's neat that they finally have church callings where they serve together. I appreciate that she made sure we never used the typical slang words so we didn't have to go through the difficulty many missionaries do of changing their vocabulary. She encouraged us in everything good. I also appreciate the efforts she and dad made to make sure we had fun memories of swim outings, summer vacations and extended family gatherings. Although I remember it driving me crazy that she would have to have the house totally clean before all family vacations, I can appreciate that now. It feels great to get back from a trip and enter a clean house. I also find myself ironing the boys clothes on Saturday night and making sure everything is picked up and clean since that is what she always did.
She talks about how great my dad's parents were to them when they were first married, making them baby quilts, sending them home each weekend with canned peaches and food from their garden and being so supportive of them. They taught her how to can food and tie quilts. She sent me out to Utah on the plane with my dad when I was less than a year old for my grandmas to take care of me and says they loved it. Anyway, my point is that it has been so neat to see how she has treated my grandparents, especially my grandpa now that Grandma has passed away, with the same love and generosity that they gave her and my dad when they were the ones in need. She has my grandpa up for a nice dinner twice a week. She made sure he had his kitchen remodeled to be more convenient for him and has often made sure he has nice clothes. She has always called him "Dad" and treated him with kindness.
I think of her teaching children, loving beauty in all forms (art, many books, and music), being anxiously engaged in a good cause, enjoying her children and grandchildren and loving us despite our weaknesses. She is always serving others in and outside of her family: babies, children, adults and elderly. She serves without being asked and sacrifice is a part of her everyday life. Each day I talk to her on the phone she's been up to some sort of service. She has less active families over for breakfast before church, takes food and gives rides to all the elderly in the ward and helps those with specific needs.
She's an expert on finding nice-looking clothes. Dad always looks sharp thanks to her. Mike has dressed well at work thanks to her birthday and Christmas gifts of business attire. She knows all the sizes of her sons and daughters, sons-in-law and daughters-in-law so she can be on the lookout for any great deals and is always looking out for us. When Mike went to New Orleans and met up with my brother Joseph for church, Mike noticed their ties were similar and decided the same woman must do their shopping.
Although we live far away now, it is nice to have her a phone call away. When we speak, she expresses real interest in the trivial of my day-to-day.
Happy Mother's Day!