5.29.2010

Jonathan

Jonathan: "Dad, did you know little babies can't walk and they can't crawl, they just lay there?"
Mike: "Yes, yes I did."

Jonathan on the way to the swimming pool: "Dad, I can't wait for you to see me be a speedy boat."

While at pool other kids were splashing, hitting and pushing Jonathan for no reason. It seems like he would usually use his size and build to his advantage but not this time. He responded in every kind way we ever taught him, including saying "Stop, please. I don't like that" at least half a dozen times. He also went over to Mike to report what was happening and asked Mike to go tell the kids' moms to ask them to stop. We were so proud of him and realized he does listen to us, even if he only selectively does what we ask him to.

Yesterday, Jonathan let us use hair clippers! This is a big deal since he has always insisted on us using scissors. I guess he started wondering why James didn't cry and figured it must be safe after all.

A few times over the last week or two, we've woken up as early as 6am to the sound of bath toys crashing against the tub, water running, and/or a faint singing sound of "Book of Mormon Stories". Yep. Jonathan. 6am. In the bath tub having fun. Not to mention, for some reason he loves cold baths. If the water is even slightly warm he says it's too hot and turns it to cold. This early to rise and straight to bathing could serve him well later in life but it's way too early for me!

About a week ago I was telling Jonathan a story about the 2,000 stripling warriors in The Book of Mormon. I told him how they were really righteous and good and how they fought "bad guys" to protect their families. He asked, "but, what do bad guys look like?", hmm. I replied, "It's hard to tell sometimes, bad guys are people who try to make it hard for you to keep Heavenly Father's commandments." Jonathan "You and Dad better teach me how to fight bad guys because I don't know how."

Lastly, a month or so Jonathan finally stopped using the little potty seat thing that sits on the toilet. He was super scared of falling in but soon found he's plenty big. Now he feels even more like a big boy. The other day he said, "I did another big boy thing. I washed my hands without standing on the stool."