This is quite lengthy - mostly just as a journal/ make my mom smile update type thing so read only if you have a few extra minutes.
James had immunizations today and Jonathan couldn't stand it. It was really quite adorable. There was a plastic alligator in the doctor's office. He told the nurse “Don’t poke my little brother" and advised her to let the alligator eat the shots. He seemed to understand that the shots were needed so that "James won't get sick", but it was quite traumatic for him to see James hurt.
We made a Christmas star out of gum drops and toothpicks at the little co-op preschool I do for two hours each Thursday morning with a few other moms. He loves his little star and hasn’t eaten a single gum drop. I even gave him permission to and he says, “I don’t want to eat it. It’s special to me.” Where’d he ever learn that kind of self-mastery? Sometimes I forget he’s only two.
As long as I’m on the topic of Jonathan -what a sweetie he's been lately. He's always saying, "Please, thank you, oh, that's OK" gives hugs and kisses like a pro. and told me he missed me "really, really big" when I left him for a couple hours with Michael on Saturday. Wouldn't it be great if he stays this polite? It's funny how he goes in and out of easy and hard stages.
It’s so fun to watch Michael and him play together. Lucky Mike, he gets to look forward to wrestling, dancing, hanging out in Jonathan’s “tent” or doing Capoeira with Jonathan everyday after work. Today Jonathan called "Daddy" to tell him, “Baby James wants you to come home”. I’m glad he likes having him around.
James stats as of today:
16 lbs 8 oz - 72% He just had his first rice cereal last night. I hope solids help him fill out a little - chubby babies are so cute.
26 1/2 in - 90%
HC - 17 1/2 in - 75%
His hands always seem to be a little cold, he has the most endearing dimple when he smiles, and giggles whenever I pretend to eat him. I don't know if it is biological because he is my offspring, but biological or not, I love his baby smell.
I hope our boys can stay close and hang out a lot at our place after they leave home for game nights, sports and hanging out. I have fond memories of going to my grandparents and having us each take a spot laying on the floor, the couches or chairs and just talking and having my grandpa tell stories. My grandma absolutely adored my dad. Maybe he really could do no wrong in her eyes. Maybe she was supporting him in his role as a dad by making him look good in our eyes. Either way, I hope I can be that way with our boys... We'll see, easier said than done.