11.20.2024

11/20/24

Ryan is very capable when he is determined. James has an e-bike that he doesn't use very much now that he has his driver's license. The brakes were broken and after a couple attempts of not being able to repair them, we knew we'd need to take it into the bike shop. Ryan, with a determination that belies his 12 years, figured out how to install our bike rack all on his own so I would drive the bike to the shop to get fixed. It was no easy task but he figured it out with flying colors. 

He and James went on a camping overnighter last weekend with Grandpa Neyens. James drove his truck which caused me a little worry since it was an hour away. Apparently, he got lost toward the very end of the drive and ended up on the other side of a mountain in the dark. Thankfully they found their way and had a safe camping trip. They saw some neat Indian paintings on rocks and enjoyed a rainy night and a couple of nice hikes.

Ryan says he is concerned that a girl at school likes him and is worried that she "might get him." I asked what he meant and he clarified, "get him to be her boyfriend." It's all we can do to get him to comb his hair and he still needs reminders to shower so the idea of any girls liking him is a little funny. I'm glad he's apparently quite a charmer at school. 

He was asked to give a talk to the primary age youth that will be joining young men's and young women's. We arrived at the church and he adamantly didn't want me to stay in the room while he gave his talk which I knew he hadn't written and said he was going to be appropriate and act like he does at school. With that assurance, I waited outside the door. I couldn't hear very much but he had the entire room laughing at various points.

He also has me rub his feet every night, and his legs, and his back and his head and then often needs everything repeated.