1.13.2013

Adjusting

Life has been hectic to say the least. Grandpa and Grandma D. drove down from Utah to support Michael in his graduation with an MBA from Indiana University and a Masters of Global Management from Thunderbird. The kids and I drove up as well. Even with a DVD player, driving seven hours with four kids is an adventure. Grandma D. was really sweet and watched the two youngest in the hotel during the ceremony especially nice since Mike’s boss sat with us and keeping four kiddos quiet for two hours would have been quite the feat. Grandpa D. took pictures and carried James back to the hotel when he got board. We are so proud of Michael and happy he has completed this two and half year program! He’s a smart one.

We drove through Yuma, made a weekend visit to Joseph and Nicole’s and headed to San Diego to move to our very first house in Murrieta. With the help of Sarah and Gordon and kiddos who including helping us into their CA vacation and Grandpa and Grandma D. who spent the week helping watch kiddos, clean, pack and move we were able to move. Grandpa Neyens also spent the day packing and loading and lending us moving helps. Melvin helped unload with his kiddos and there were nice people from the church on both ends. So here we are in a new land, around new people and slowly but surely finding our way around. The boys are both playing in-door soccer and Jonathan rides a bus from the elementary school next to us to another one, since there is no room for him at the one next to us. He is in a 1st/2nd grade combo class.

Speaking of Jonathan and moving I should note that the first week and a half after the move was especially tough because we didn’t have a fridge (Thank you Grandma and Grandpa Neyens for lending their cooler). We also didn’t have a TV hooked up and Mike went back to work and it seems like the boys were at each other more than usual. Finally I decided to get Jonathan into a good book so I didn’t have to stay in the same room as him and James every moment to keep them from fighting. So I started reading The Last Battle to him. Michael’s been reading the Narnia books to him over the last year or so, so he is familiar with the characters. Anyway, he enjoyed it so much that he read the entire book in a day. I realized how helpful it was to have him into books so I checked our Harry Potter from the library last week. He begged me to read it all the time and followed along pretty well despite some the language being a little tough to understand. He loved it and couldn’t wait until he got his hands on the book 2. I just haven’t had time to be reading it to him every minute so he decided to read it himself and read it in two days. He is already into book number 3. He wants to read non-stop and we are debating banning books.

The bishop called our family in right before church and asked if I would accept the calling of being Relief Society Activity Coordinator. I think I may even have a committee (one lady so far from what I understand). I figured I had to accept since all the kids were there. The Relief Society President told me when she met me last week, she knew I was the one for the calling. Of course - I have no doubt she was inspired. I remember being slightly judgmental of the Relief Society activity people in my last ward when they had an activity on making feather earrings a few months ago and I know that’s why I got the calling. Remind me to never be critical of anyone again. Every time I am, I end up being pulled over by a cop, wrestling a kid with a tantrum or getting a calling. That reminds me of my cop story and how I got out of a ticket last year…. I don’t think I blogged about it. Maybe next time.