10.11.2008

Penitent Protector

Mike here. Jonathan is so funny. I'd like to share with you a few conversations I had with him recently.

Jonathan and I were playing on our patio the other day. I had just gotten back from work and it had been an unusually difficult day. Wondering if he sensed my discouragement, I explained to him that I tried to help people at work and they didn't want my help so it made me sad. Jonathan thought for a second, then looked me right in the eye and said "Jonathan kick people, nice Daddy." I was flattered that he would stand up for me against those that made me sad. However, not wanting to encourage violence, I explained "No, Jonathan. We do not kick people. If we are playing with someone and they don't want to play with us or if they don't want our help, we just say `That's okay. I'll go somewhere else.' And then we go play somewhere else. We do not kick them." And then it made sense to me...I have 79 other accounts to work with, so I'll go somewhere else. Thanks, kiddo, for helping me see things in the right perspective...in a roundabout way.

A couple of days later, Jonathan was sitting on my lap at the computer. We make a really good team. I move the mouse around and he clicks for me when I ask him to. He's the best. Out of the blue, he told me, "Jonathan not hurt people anymore. Jonathan not be mean anymore. Jonathan be nice Baby James now." He is a reformed young man, penitent of his grievous past. I couldn't be more proud.

This morning we were gardening out on our patio. It was a little cool and windy outside. Ruth even closed the door she was getting so cold with the icy 73 degrees indoors and the bitterly cold 65 degrees outdoors. Her blood must be turning Californian ;) Jonathan and I were discussing the unusual weather and I pointed out to him that even though it was a little cold the sky was really blue and pretty. He looked up and said, "Sky pretty like Mommy." Ruth is every bit deserving of the compliment.

Abraco,
Mike